Hero skins are here! But as promised, there’s much more to it than just dropping some ICE in the Market. Every Vainglory skin theme has three tiers. That’s right: three different pieces of splash art. Three different in-game models. Three different hero concepts to covet. It’s very much like three skins in one — but with a Super Evil twist. Let’s explore the details …
Three Skin Tiers?! Explain Yourself.
- Each hero skin theme has three tiers.
- There’s a new game element called Cards. Collect cards to unlock skins.
- You can unlock Tier 1 with ICE or by “weaving” cards earned in post-match Spoils of War.
- Tier 2 & Tier 3 skins can only be unlocked by meeting card requirements. These skin tiers are not directly purchasable with ICE.
- This update (1.4) includes Tier 1 skins for six heroes. Tier 2 & Tier 3 skins (along with skin themes for more heroes) will come in future updates. Ultimately, all heroes will have skins.
- You can check out the Tier 1 and Tier 2 art of hero skins now in the Market under the new “Get Skins” section. A quick glance will reveal how different and awesome the skin tiers are.
- Each skin tier has more challenging card requirements than the last, and you must unlock skin tiers in order.
- If you unlock a skin, you’ll have the option to select it after locking in your hero pre-match. Then, you’ll see that skin reflected in the new loading screen and during the game.
Wait … There are Cards Now?!
- Yes! Sometimes a card will appear in Spoils of War when you finish a public match.
- The more matches you play, the more chances you have of receiving a card.
- Cards come in four rarities: common, rare, epic and legendary. Common and rare cards are in this update. Epic and legendary cards will come in a future update.
- Combine the cards you earn post-match to unlock hero skins! This is called “weaving.” When you weave a skin, the used cards are consumed and removed from your card inventory.
- Check out your cards anytime by tapping MY CARDS in your profile.
- We are adding more ways for you to get cards in the future, as random drops from completing matches will not be enough to earn Tier 2 & Tier 3 skins very fast. In fact, there’s already a section of the Market called “Get Cards.” It’s just not available yet.
Tell Me More About These Card Types
- Common cards are flexible and can be used to meet the requirements of many different skins.
- Rare cards are unique to a skin theme and can be used toward weaving its Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 3 skin.
- Epic cards are unique to a skin theme and can be used toward weaving its Tier 2 or Tier 3 skin. Epic cards are coming soon.
- Legendary cards are extremely rare and special. They are unique to a skin theme and are exclusively applied to its Tier 3 skin. Legendary cards are coming soon.
Optimizing Your Cards: Tips to Skin Success
- Cards only appear after a match sometimes. This makes all cards (even commons) precious commodities. You’ll want to use them efficiently to unlock multiple skin tiers.
- If possible, unlock tier 1 skins with ICE to save your cards for higher tiers! Tier 2 & Tier 3 skins also require common and rare cards. If you use those cards on Tier 1 skins, you’ll need to earn many more cards to unlock higher skin tiers.
- Tier 1 skins are the only skins you can unlock with ICE or require common & rare cards to weave.
- Tier 2 skins will require common, rare & epic cards.
- Tier 3 skins will require common, rare, epic & legendary cards.
- Your chances of getting a card post-match have nothing to do with winning or losing, although you must complete the match without deserting. So, just have fun, play and earn cards!
- Skins provide no tactical or power advantage (other than possibly awe), so you are not more or less likely to win a match based on your hero’s appearance.
We hope you enjoy this massive new addition to the Vainglory game universe. So go play, collect some cards, weave some skins … and if you want to support the game and help it succeed, purchase some ICE and unlock some Tier 1 skins today!