In this week’s free hero rotation, try the much more deadly Joule! She’s in the rotation for the first time since her improvements in update 1.4, which you can read about below. Be sure to explore Joule in lane and heavy weapon and crystal builds. Plus, play the always-frightening Koshka, gank-happy Glaive and more. The free hero rotation changes every Tuesday. —PlayoffBeard
Joule is a hardened front-line fighter with built-in defensive plating. Joule’s abilities require proper aim to hit the target, but they have a devastating effect if you can aim properly.
Recap of Joule changes in 1.4:
Heavy Plating (heroic perk) & Base Stats
- Heavy Plating armor up from 22-90 to 55-150.
- Base armor down from 22-88 to 0-55.
- Joule’s armor is now effectively 55-205 from the front & sides; 0-55 in the back.
- Shield up from 22-104.5 to 22-133.
- Attack speed at max level down from 117% to 100%.
- Move speed up from 3.25 to 3.4.
- Leap total delay shortened from 1.4s to 1.2s (15% faster).
- Damage down from 150-450 to 150-350.
- Max rank stun duration down from 1.7 to 1.5.
- Crystal ratio up from 110% to 170%.
Thunder Strike (overhauled)
- Sends a bolt of energy directly in front of Joule. If this strikes an enemy, every Thunder Strike that follows will have bonus armor pierce & shield pierce until you miss. Thunder Strike’s cooldown scales with attack speed. Overdrive: Can crit weapon damage.
- Cooldown: 3.5 seconds
- Energy cost: 35-43
- Damage: 80-110-140-170-200
- Crystal / Weapon ratio: 100% / 175%
- Crystal / Weapon ratio against minions: 80% / 33%
- Bonus pierce when charged up: 15-20-25-30-40% (There is only 1 stack!)
- No longer resets basic-attack cooldowns
Big Red Button
- Laser charge-up time reduced from 1.0s to 0.6s.
- Telegraph time increased from 0.5s to 0.6s.
- Cooldown reduced from 120-115-110 to 120-105-90.
Koshka is an in-your-face assassin adept at getting the kill and then getting out. She should focus on assassinating weak targets and locking down the most lethal enemy. She is extremely fast at clearing jungle camps, making her an ideal jungler. Confident players will even invade the enemy-side jungle for fun and profit.
More on Koshka:
Petal commands a flock of Bramblethorn Pets known as “munions” that she uses to swarm her enemies from long range. She excels at long, sustained fights where damage from her small army really adds up. She can even single-handedly take out important objectives such as the Gold & Minion Mines.
More on Petal:
Glaive has one of the most feared abilities in the game: a jet-powered Afterburn strike that will slice through you and blast you back into a tactically fatal position. In teamfights, Glaive’s area-of-effect cleave and Bloodsong lifesteal makes him incredibly hard to bring down.
More on Glaive:
Catherine brings the most reliable stun and disruption skills to teamfights and ganks. Hard to kill and great at chasing, she can secure kills and turn around fights that would otherwise be lost. Catherine can soak up damage and strike fear on sight. She is best roaming between jungle and lane.
More on Catherine:
Ringo is often played as the primary damage dealer for his team. He can shoot at blinding speeds and finish off fleeing enemies with an epic fireball that follows foes across the battlefield. Incredibly weak in the early game, Ringo players should focus on earning as much gold as possible in the lane before picking big fights.
More on Ringo: